Update from HRI on COVID-19
In the past 24 hours, there have been many announcements made with respect to the operation of sports leagues and major events across North America and the world. HRI
is therefore providing this update as of 4:00 pm today.
HRI has been in touch with our sister MHA’s in Western Canada and have also consulted with Saskatchewan Hockey Association and the Midget AAA and Sask AA Hockey Leagues. HRI is also closely monitoring the Saskatchewan Health Authority as the go-to source for information and updates.
- The Public Health Agency of Canada has assessed the public health risk associated with COVID-19 as low for the general population;
- One presumptive case of COVID-19 in Saskatchewan has been confirmed;
- Schools remain open in Regina and area with schools emphasizing preventative measures;
- HRI league and playoff games are not considered “mass gatherings”
- Hockey Canada and Saskatchewan Hockey Association are not directing MHA’s to cancel or postpone minor hockey;
Based on the above, please note the following:
- HRI league and playoff games will proceed as scheduled until further notice;
- Hockey Regina will still have a handshake line after games but no hand to hand contact between players, coaches or officials. Fist bumps with gloves on or merely acknowledge each other with head nods. Note that this also includes the pre-game handshake between the officials and coaches
HRI is recommending the following protocols be followed at all hockey activities:
- No sharing of water bottles - players should each have their own water bottle - bottles should be labelled with the player’s name and be kept clean and not shared with others
- Towels should not be shared - either on the bench or for post-game showering;
- Players should be encouraged to wash their hands after all hockey activities;
- Teams can provide hand soap or hand sanitizer for their dressing rooms;
- No spitting at any time
- Anyone feeling ill should stay at home to prevent the spread of any illness;
- Please visit www.saskatchewan.ca/coronavirus for information and updates;
As new information becomes available or circumstances evolve, HRI will issue new alert memos to provide the HRI membership and all involved with minor hockey in Regina the most up to date information.
Thank you for your cooperation.